Monday, May 25, 2009

Painting en plein aire




Memorial Day, May 25, 2009
5:54 p.m.

My water color lifestyle has changed profoundly. Every painting created in the past 20 years has been done in the studio, depending on photographs I had made on location. No doubt this was due, not only to climate comfort, but also the amount of gear I thought necessary to create a decent painting. All that changed last week. From my posted photos, you'll see the amount of "crap" I lugged about in a large crate to create my art. Now I work exclusively from a hand-sized box, without losing any quality in materials, thanks to Winsor & Newton. I had no idea that this manufacturer of professional-grade water color pigments actually sold "field boxes" like the ones I had used made by Prang, Crayola, and other "schoolboy" manufacturers.

My discovery occurred while reading Watercolors by Winslow Homer: The Color of Light, the beautiful museum catalog I purchased while viewing his show at the Art Institute of Chicago in April 2008. He used a Winsor & Newton field kit, prompting me to go online with Blick Materials.com, and lo and behold--there it was! I am now working on my first watercolor with the kit, and am thrilled at the quality of the colors.

Maybe Remmie was wrong in Jack Kerouac's On the Road--maybe you CAN teach the old maestro new tricks!

No comments: