Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Waxahachie Painting has been Published


This could be good timing. I certainly didn't see it coming, but I'll take it! The Country Register has just come out, with my watercolor titled "Waxahachie Blue"on the cover. The publishers have given me several hundred issues to distribute while I'm painting in Waxahachie, and later from my booth at the Gingerbread Trail Arts & Crafts Festival.

Anxieties are trying to creep up behind me. In 48 hours, I begin my week-long plein aire "paint out" at historic Waxahachie, followed immediately by back-to-back festivals, Saturday in Mansfield and Sunday back in Waxahachie. The booth set-up and break-down between the consecutive events will in itself be maddening. And of course, throughout this I will be finishing out the last week of school. I know--it sounds like a suicide course, but I just did not want to pass on this opportunity of "total immersion" in the arts. Such opportunities are extremely rare. School isn't. So Idecided to say "Yes" to the art schedule, and expect it to be sublime.

I have no regrets that I am a part-time artist and full-time teacher. Both worlds feed each other, and inspiration for me seldom runs dry. I'll take it. Frankly, I don't maximize my time when I have it in abundance. If I were a full-time artist, no doubt I would be filling gaps in my lean schedule with time-wasters, instead of pushing out paintings with a passion. The painting tends to come on strong when I have to struggle to steal time and do it.

No comments: