Thursday, May 28, 2009

Channeling Andy Warhol and his Factory


It's getting closer to showtime. A week from Saturday, I begin my back-to-back festival participation, with my booth set up in Mansfield, then Waxahachie. Since I leave tomorrow to begin the plein aire event, I'll have only evenings to mat and shrinkwrap my art work.

This evening, I dragged out the mat cutter and various materials, and decided to put on the video documentary Warhol: Portrait of an Artist. I've always been amused at his reference to "The Factory"--the converted hat factory where he produced all his silkscreens and various reproductions. As showtime neared, Andy went into "factory mode" and his items were all "factory made." Listening to the documentary play while I cut mats for a stack of prints of my watercolors was a rewarding experience, and it certainly moved the time by much more efficiently. After days and days of painting and sketching, it is nice to take an evening off from that, and just enjoy the "factory" experience.

Thanks Andy. Life isn't the same in the commercial art world without you. We miss you.

No comments: