Thursday, June 4, 2009

Wrapping up the Plein-Aire experience


Well . . . after nearly a week of daily attempts at Waxahachie Plein-Aire painting, I finally created one I can proudly display. I started this one early Wednesday afternoon, drawing carefully for over an hour, and then laying in wash and attempting details. I quit at 7:00, disrupted by a shower, and later by overcast skies. I was not entirely happy with what I saw in the work. Returning today after school, and knowing I only had about 3 hours till deadline, I began laying in the painstaking details, and, I believe, saved the painting. Quite a few curious onlookers approached me throughout the afternoon, offering compliments once they saw the painting. The fellow artists back at the Ellis County Art Association also offered affirming words. As for myself, I'm pretty wiped out right now, but glad that I finally turned out a decent painting this week. The works will go on display tomorrow night at a barbecue for all the artists, and at least I'll have one in the show that doesn't embarrass me. I finally have some confidence that I'm going to "solve" this plein-aire experience. I have been totally blissful at the process, but not pleased with the final product. Until now.

No comments: