Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Meandering Odyssey of Plein Aire on a Dark Day



Today was a long one. My wife Sandi had a horse clinic to atttend, so we went our separate ways this morning, into the gathering darkness of lingering storms from last night. Once I got to downtown Fort Worth, the heavens opened and the rains came in cascades. I realized at that moment that I had left my painting stool in the garage (turned around!). Twenty-five minutes later, the stool retrieved, I returned to Fort Worth, and the rains were right there where I had left them. Drove through a monsoon that ended at West Loop 820. On to Weatherford. The skies dark, no shadows or highlights to be found anywhere. I thought about a grain elevator and train freight depot. Too dull. No light. Then I drove northward to find an old gas station I had painted earlier this year. No luck. On to Springtown. Then on to Decatur.

In Decatur, the light came out, and the winds picked up. On Old Business Highway 287 I found the string of businesses I had been invited to paint by the owner (last year when I displayed at Fort Worth's Jazz by the Boulevard). The businesses were a perfect time warp for "Recollections 54" (the name of my art company). I sat in front of my Jeep and sketched an old station, then added the Texaco sign (I thought it needed it). By 3:30 the sun was coming on strong (and the humidity). Mosquitoes were emerging from the swampy bar ditch beside me. I decided it best to come on home, and finish this one later, which I shall.

The day was long, but filled with sights and internal rewards.

No comments: