Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Do you keep a journal?

October 22, 1837: "What are you doing now?" he asked. "Do you keep a journal?" So I make my first entry to-day.

Thus begins the first entry that opens the Journals of Henry David Thoreau. The questioner was Ralph Waldo Emerson. He was the guiding force that launched the young Thoreau's journal odyssey.

June 25, 2008: My first blog follows a long day of transporting Boston watercolors to a frameshop and pottery to the Burson Gallery in Hillsboro. I painted in the loft for a portion of the afternoon, then rendevouzed with my band as we hammered out a set list for the Gallery Concert just 48 hours away. Songs include:

Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out
Helplessly Hoping
Dimming of the Day
Looking Forward
Hank to Hendrix
Closer to Fine
Southern Cross

Tomorrow, I'll head back to the gallery with more paintings from two other submitting artists.

2 comments:

Theresa Williams said...

Well, I get to be the first to comment on the first blog entry! Keep going! Good songs. I like the term journal rather than blog, don't you?

David said...

I'm glad you're the first. I wasn't sure just how far to go on the first blog. But what I left unspoken is this--Theresa Williams launched my blog, as Emerson launched Thoreau's. Thank you for being the Prime Mover that you are. And yes, I do like "Journal" better than "Blog." But since I'm new to this, I'll probably use the word "Blog" a few more times to describe my maiden voyage. Like having my first beer, I guess.